Many women struggle with postpartum depression after giving birth. Women are more likely to experience postpartum depression if they have had a different form of depression previously. The good news is: Postpartum depression can be successfully overcome through kind and compassionate treatment.
If you experience a change in your appetite, are sleeping too much or not enough, or experience sadness or mixed emotions, these may be signs of postpartum depression. Our experienced staff members at Las Palmas OB/GYN can help ease you through this difficult time.
How can postpartum depression be treated?
- Treatment is individualized based on the patient, but we at Las Palmas OB/GYN recommend the following treatment options:
- Quick-acting antidepressants. We want you to feel better as soon as possible. Talk to your doctor about which antidepressant is right for you.
- Therapy. Communicating with others about your experience will help to provide relief.
- Take care of yourself. Make sure to get plenty of rest. Sleeping when your baby sleeps is a good place to start.
- Ask for assistance. Make the most of friends and family who’ve got your back! Don’t hesitate to ask your partner for help feeding your baby late at night if you need more rest.
- Treat yourself. Take a shower every day and get out of the house when possible. You’ll feel much better when you look good and get a daily dose of fresh air.
If you have unrelenting postpartum blues, speak with your doctor right away. At Las Palmas OB/GYN, your health is a priority and we want to do whatever it takes to keep you and your baby safe and healthy. If you are interested in making an appointment, contact us today.